YCAN’s re-branding sessions outside the office of Richard Wynne, Labor member for Richmond are catching people’s attention. See coverage below from the Melbourne Leader and Melbourne Times.
Please get in touch to help with the campaign to get Victoria out of coal and into renewable energy: yarracan -at- gmail.com, or drop in to a re-branding session for a chat, every Wednesday, 5.30-6.30pm, 112 Smith St, Collingwood.
Every Wednesday starting 3 February 5.30-6.30pm, 112 Smith St, Collingwood – ’til the bastards put humanity ahead of coal industry profits
Our weekly re-branding sessions continue and we need you!!
After completing six weeks in a row in 2009, we will now attempt to have a weekly presence outside Labor Minister Richard Wynne’s office until the November State Election or until the Brumby Government implements some decent climate crisis policies!
Our actions are already having an effect. Richard Wynne was one of the Ministers that successfully argued to postpone the allocation of brown coal for export to India.
We will be correcting the Brumby Government’s image, to match its pro-coal actions, every Wednesday, 5.30-6.30pm, 112 Smith St, Collingwood.
WE NEED YOU FOR THIS TO SUCCEED – CAN YOU FILL A WEEKLY, FORTNIGHTLY, MONTHLY OR ONE-OFF ONE HOUR SHIFT AT THE PROTEST VIGIL ON A WEDNESDAY EVENING? If you can please contact us – Yarracan -at- gmail.com
Also, if you are a musician or performer and feel like busking while we do our rebranding, we would love to have you on a Wednesday evening.
Some recent Brumby Government climate change ‘initiatives’:
- Investing our money in the construction of a new coal-fired power station in the Latrobe Valley.
- Lobbying to get the owners of coal power stations more compensation from taxpayers under an emissions trading scheme.
- Accepting thousands of dollars in donations to the Labor Party from coal corporations in return for private meetings in which coal expansion proposals are discussed.
- Investing in research in so-called ‘clean coal’ rather than genuinely clean energy production like 24-hour baseload solar and wind power that actually exist.
- Going back on a promise to introduce a gross feed-in tariff which would pay owners of solar panels for all the electricity their panels produced.
- Looking into exporting dirty brown coal to countries like India.
(references for the points above available on request)
To get on the roster for a shift contact Yarracan -at- gmail.com or show up on a Wednesday.
GetUp’s ReEnergise Australia campaign has been knocking on doors in Kensington and Richmond in the federal electorate of Melbourne, talking to people about the potential for renewable energy to power Australia and create thousands of clean energy jobs. Over 1600 of the 1700 people that GetUp spoke to signed their petition, asking Lindsay Tanner, the Labor member for Melbourne to become a clean energy champion in the Federal Parliament. This is quite far from the current Rudd Government position, which includes wholehearted support for the coal industry and billions of taxpayer dollars for the big coal corporations while Australian technology and know-how, such as Solar Systems is allowed to go belly-up.
The key result from the door-knocking was this – 85% of those people who identified as Labor voters said they would consider changing their vote if the Government doesn’t act.
GetUp will be handing over their petition tomorrow (Friday) at 5.30pm at Lindsay Tanner’s office – 280 King St, Melbourne. All are invited to come along.
The people of Melbourne have sent a clear message, we want the Government to support renewable energy, not fossil fuels, or else we will vote for someone who will.