YCAN’s re-branding sessions outside the office of Richard Wynne, Labor member for Richmond are catching people’s attention. See coverage below from the Melbourne Leader and Melbourne Times.
Please get in touch to help with the campaign to get Victoria out of coal and into renewable energy: yarracan -at- gmail.com, or drop in to a re-branding session for a chat, every Wednesday, 5.30-6.30pm, 112 Smith St, Collingwood.
Our weekly re-branding sessions continue and we need you!!
After completing six weeks in a row in 2009, we will now attempt to have a weekly presence outside Labor Minister Richard Wynne’s office until the November State Election or until the Brumby Government implements some decent climate crisis policies!
Our actions are already having an effect. Richard Wynne was one of the Ministers that successfully argued to postpone the allocation of brown coal for export to India.
We will be correcting the Brumby Government’s image, to match its pro-coal actions, every Wednesday, 5.30-6.30pm, 112 Smith St, Collingwood.
WE NEED YOU FOR THIS TO SUCCEED – CAN YOU FILL A WEEKLY, FORTNIGHTLY, MONTHLY OR ONE-OFF ONE HOUR SHIFT AT THE PROTEST VIGIL ON A WEDNESDAY EVENING? If you can please contact us – Yarracan -at- gmail.com
Also, if you are a musician or performer and feel like busking while we do our rebranding, we would love to have you on a Wednesday evening.
Some recent Brumby Government climate change ‘initiatives’:
- Investing our money in the construction of a new coal-fired power station in the Latrobe Valley.
- Lobbying to get the owners of coal power stations more compensation from taxpayers under an emissions trading scheme.
- Accepting thousands of dollars in donations to the Labor Party from coal corporations in return for private meetings in which coal expansion proposals are discussed.
- Investing in research in so-called ‘clean coal’ rather than genuinely clean energy production like 24-hour baseload solar and wind power that actually exist.
- Going back on a promise to introduce a gross feed-in tariff which would pay owners of solar panels for all the electricity their panels produced.
- Looking into exporting dirty brown coal to countries like India.
(references for the points above available on request)
To get on the roster for a shift contact Yarracan -at- gmail.com or show up on a Wednesday.
Some fun and interesting climate change events happening in the next couple of weeks in our local area – all free and all welcome:
1. Renewable is Do-able public meeting – Thursday 3 December
2. Ride Planet Earth bike ride – Sunday 6 December
3. Walk Against Warming – Saturday 12 December
The Walk Against Warming is Australia’s biggest day of community action on climate change. Similar Walks will be happening across the country, and across the globe as communities everywhere come together to tell their leaders they want action for a safe climate.
If you’ve ever replaced an old light globe with an energy efficient one, taken public transport instead of driving, switched to Green Power, or worried about the kind of world you’re going to leave to your kids, then the 2009 Walk Against Warming is for you!
12pm, 12 December, Victorian State Library (cnr Latrobe and Swanston Sts, City)